Skip to main content

2 Simple Ways to Start off Your Career as a New Freelance Writer

Last week someone posted on my Facebook page of Ghostwriters' World that he was finding it hard to make some real cash out of freelance writing.

While it's hard work initially, once you have launched yourself and made a reputation in the field, it should be pretty straight forward. I'll dedicate my future blogs to educate you on how to earn well through freelance writing alone.

Setting off as a New Freelance Writer


Are you too just starting off your career as a freelance writer? Are you struggling to earn a decent income of it? Yes? This post will give you some ideas and tips for YOU to get out there and showcase your writing skills to the world.

Before you begin, the first thing to do is set realistic goals. It is good to dream big, but take it one step at a time. With the growing world on the Internet, there is more demand for writers, specially freelance writers, than there was ever before. Writing is needed for everything: books, ebooks, websites, magazines, emails, blogs, guest posts, press releases and so much more. Yes, writing does pay well, but when you are starting off, not so much. You are just building upon your experience and letting the world know you can write, and write well.

If you are thinking of making it your only source of income, you will need to invest and dedicate several hours a day, everyday, religiously to writing alone. It won't be easy, but if you enjoy writing, you will love it and gradually make your way into making this your only source of income.

Here are two of the things to do when you are setting off for your journey to the world of writing:


1. Start Blogging


Oh yes! I wish I knew how effective blogging is when I started. You can write anything you want, when you want and how you want on your blog. You write there at your own pace. There are no limitations, no deadlines. It is your very own space to express your thoughts and ideas. It is a brilliant way to get some readership.



Let the world know about who you are and about your writing skills. If you have knowledge or skill in a particular field, say for example you are great at DIY projects or makeup, post about these areas of interest everyday or every other day to engage your readers. Add pictures or copyright-free images where appropriate to make your blogs more interesting.

 Once your blog starts to get popular and you see that it is being read more everyday, it's time to monetize it. Advertising on your blog is just one way to do it. I'll talk about this in detail in one of my future blogs, but at this time just start blogging. Trust me, it is a great way to start off.


2. Freelance Writing Websites:


I personally started off showing my writing skills by pitching to clients on freelance websites like Elance (now Upwork) and Fiverr. Beware though that the clients there are looking for lots for work for peanuts from newbies. Yes, I did that too once but it did not last very long and I had to move on. If you initially start with low bids, you might establish a good feedback and eventually get more work at better rates. The more jobs you do there, the stronger your profile becomes. As that happens, you can bid on higher paying jobs and earn yourself a decent income.

Freelance websites like Fiverr are a great way to start building your freelance writing career.


If you are thinking of taking up this route, dedicate some serious time for applying to the jobs advertised there. Make your proposals appealing enough for the clients to hire you without giving a second thought. Once you have strengthened your writing skills, move on and find some better paying jobs on the site and elsewhere.



The Gist:


Stop wondering where to get started, and how to. Just start writing. Remember,  to create any building, we always start by laying the first brick. Lay down your first one and work towards building a strong career as a freelance writer for yourself!


If you have got any questions about freelance writing, post them below. If you are already one, let us know in the comments below how you are getting on.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Reasons Why You Should Become a Ghostwriter

Despite having published under my own name, I prefer being a ghostwriter. While ghostwriting is not everyone's cup of tea, it just seems to work perfectly for me. The reasons?  1 . Ghostwriting Pays Well Ghostwriting is a lucrative niche . One of the best things about ghostwriting is that you get paid a handsome amount for it. And you get paid upfront. You don't have to wait to write, publish and then market your book to make any money out of it.    At Ghostwriters' World, I offer other writing services such as copywriting but ghostwriting undoubtedly pays the best. You just have to find the right clients- the ones who will pay you well. 2. You Have to do Less Homework Often your clients will have brilliant ideas and stories that they would want you to work on. This means you would not have to start from scratch. You don't have to come up with your own ideas and voice. You would have an outline or plot to begin with so you'll have to do less homewo...

6 of the Most Common Ghostwriting FAQs Answered: How to Gather Information from the Clients for Ghostwriting Their Books

Ghostwriters out there...whether you are a new ghostwriter or someone thinking of building ghostwriting as a career, ghostwriting may not come easy for you.  You may have many questions boggling your mind or perhaps you have been told off by others to do something unethical. I've been there so I know exactly what you are going through. That's why I've tried to compile a list of the 6 most frequently asked questions about ghostwriting for you in this next series of articles that I'll be posting here. I hope they help simplify things for you a bit. Question #1: How do I get all the information from my client that I need to write his/her book? Answer: Simple, you can gather all the information you need for ghostwriting by communicating effectively with your client that you are ghostwriting the book for. There can be several ways you can do it: a. One-to-one meeting: This is by-far the best form of communication as you sit with your ...

Making Ghostwriting Your Career

Enough information about blogs, websites, search engines, SEO and all those trending topics talking about how you can establish your online presence! Let's get back to the topic of 'ghostwriting', something this blog is originally about. Now, before I go any further, I just want to make sure you know what ghostwriting is. It may sound funny but many people still think it's writing about ghosts, witches and those scary things.  While ghostwriting literally means the same, the main idea behind ghostwriting is that you write on someone else's behalf. So basically, if you know a well-known author out there, he probably wasn't the mastermind behind his books. It was a ghostwriter! Does that sound a bit insane or may be unfair to you? You write something and someone else gets the credit for it....Well to some extent it is, but I still believe  establishing  your career as a ghostwriter  is a wonderful idea. Or at least  that's  w...