Skip to main content

The Fuss About SEO


If you are a freelance writer like me, you know hundreds of clients come up to you asking you to write SEO-optimised articles, blogs, or product descriptions.

They give you a list of keywords and sometimes mention a keyword density to use in the text.

Why do they do that?

Why is everyone so crazy about SEO?

Let's find out.

What is SEO (Search Engine Optimization)?

Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of getting traffic to your website by listing on a search engines.

When you type in something in you're looking for in your search engine like Google or Yahoo, it returns a long list of results. The results are returned on the basis of a particular ranking done by these search engines.

Now, how are these ranked? All the web pages, documents, videos and local listings are ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to the person conducting the search.

 For example: if your keywords are, lets say, 'ghostwriting book's, and I am a ghostwriter, I desperately want to appear on the first page of the list that search engine creates. 

Remember: Surfers have a very short attention span. If they find what they need in the first five entries and mine is ranked # 101, chances are that I will never get a visit unless England is a keyword and my business caters to the residents of England or UK.


Why do Online Sellers Worry so Much About SEO? 

Ever used a phone book or yellow pages or a dictionary?

 With the Internet having conquered the world of information, it's less likely you use any one of these, but it's the best way to understand the concept.

 If I am looking for a hotel in the Yellow Pages, I'd look up for them under the 'Hotels and Restaurants' subheading.

 Let's say there are a hundred listed in the area I'm looking up. Unless one of them has a big prominent Ad in the Yellow Pages or I have heard of this one from a TV ad or perhaps a friend recommended it to me, I am going to choose one of the first few ones appearing at the top of the list.

Who'd bother to scroll down when you've what you need at the top? Likewise, in business, people want to appear at the top and become prominent. They want their potential customers to be able to find them in the deep sea of other competitors and businesses from all  around the world.

So you see, that’s why sellers in any kind of e-business worry about SEO. They want to get chosen first!


How Do You Ensure You are on that First Page? 




Want to rank at the top? Ask yourself the following questions:

1. Are my keywords you accurate, and will searches actually use these keywords?
2. Do my page titles direct surfers to the targeted keywords?
3. Is my web text concise, descriptive and rich—but not stuffed—with keywords?
4. Does my anchor text point surfers to additional pages in my site and does it have appropriate and effective keywords?
5. Have I used text links from my home page to other website pages?
6. Are my graphics sparing effective and useful for all three types of search engines?
7. Do I have both XML Sitemap and HTML Sitemap?
8. Are my pages simple, precise and effective?
9. Am I proactive in building links to other sites?
10. Am I or is a site administrator constantly updating this site?
11. Have I started a blog site to attract traffic to my website?
12. Do I use videos or photographs effectively to describe my products or services?
13. Am I using advertising on other sites to drive traffic to my website?
14. Have I used an analysis service to explore my keywords, web text, products, web traffic?



What are your answers? Jot them down and see what you're lacking or missing upon.

Catch you later with more useful info on keywords. See you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Reasons Why You Should Become a Ghostwriter

Despite having published under my own name, I prefer being a ghostwriter. While ghostwriting is not everyone's cup of tea, it just seems to work perfectly for me. The reasons?  1 . Ghostwriting Pays Well Ghostwriting is a lucrative niche . One of the best things about ghostwriting is that you get paid a handsome amount for it. And you get paid upfront. You don't have to wait to write, publish and then market your book to make any money out of it.    At Ghostwriters' World, I offer other writing services such as copywriting but ghostwriting undoubtedly pays the best. You just have to find the right clients- the ones who will pay you well. 2. You Have to do Less Homework Often your clients will have brilliant ideas and stories that they would want you to work on. This means you would not have to start from scratch. You don't have to come up with your own ideas and voice. You would have an outline or plot to begin with so you'll have to do less homewo...

6 of the Most Common Ghostwriting FAQs Answered: How to Gather Information from the Clients for Ghostwriting Their Books

Ghostwriters out there...whether you are a new ghostwriter or someone thinking of building ghostwriting as a career, ghostwriting may not come easy for you.  You may have many questions boggling your mind or perhaps you have been told off by others to do something unethical. I've been there so I know exactly what you are going through. That's why I've tried to compile a list of the 6 most frequently asked questions about ghostwriting for you in this next series of articles that I'll be posting here. I hope they help simplify things for you a bit. Question #1: How do I get all the information from my client that I need to write his/her book? Answer: Simple, you can gather all the information you need for ghostwriting by communicating effectively with your client that you are ghostwriting the book for. There can be several ways you can do it: a. One-to-one meeting: This is by-far the best form of communication as you sit with your ...

Making Ghostwriting Your Career

Enough information about blogs, websites, search engines, SEO and all those trending topics talking about how you can establish your online presence! Let's get back to the topic of 'ghostwriting', something this blog is originally about. Now, before I go any further, I just want to make sure you know what ghostwriting is. It may sound funny but many people still think it's writing about ghosts, witches and those scary things.  While ghostwriting literally means the same, the main idea behind ghostwriting is that you write on someone else's behalf. So basically, if you know a well-known author out there, he probably wasn't the mastermind behind his books. It was a ghostwriter! Does that sound a bit insane or may be unfair to you? You write something and someone else gets the credit for it....Well to some extent it is, but I still believe  establishing  your career as a ghostwriter  is a wonderful idea. Or at least  that's  w...